i don't miss the 4 hours of daylight. i don't miss law school finals. i don't miss stressing about shopping for gifts. what i miss is the jazz sitting at 3rd in the western conference, and being able to root for crap western conference teams to beat playoff-contention western conference teams. i miss then watching those games when they jazz weren't playing, excited at the prospect of the jazz opening up a 5-game gap on fourth place by virtue of a miraculous sacramento victory.
don't understand what i'm getting at? take a look at the current west standings (team - games back):
- spurs - 0.0
- lakers - 6.5
- mavericks - 7.5
- thunder - 9.5
- hornets - 9.0
- jazz - 11.5
- thuggets - 12.0
- blazers - 14.0
- grizzlies - 15.5
- suns - 17.0
- rockets - 19.0
- warriors - 19.5
- blake griffen - 20.5
- kings - 27.0
- pesky t-wolves - 28.5
- DAL/NYK: no-brainer here. let's go knickerbockers.
- MEM/MIN: i was about to say "barring a total meltdown by the jazz," but then i remembered we're in the middle of one. anyway, utah should make the playoffs. memphis should not. i've got my eyes on minnesota, even though they waived gaines a few weeks ago. also i hate all things gasol.
- NOH/OKC: two teams above the jazz right now, and the only two within immediate striking distance. can they both lose? sadly, no; it makes sense to ask for the hornets to win this one, since we're in a better position to beat them should we meet in round one. at least the deron-CP3 matchup has favored utah traditionally, anyway.
- POR/DEN: another tough one, two teams capable of beating us and both near us in the rankings. i'm pushing for portland for a few reasons. first, they're 3.5 games behind the jazz compared to denver at only half a game. second, denver's entire team is a collection of the biggest dicks on professional sports. i can't name a single guy on the team who isn't a total prima donna. third, wes matthews.
- MIL/PHX: guess this one is totally unimportant. nash is fun to watch. so is jennings. let's go milwaukee.
- CHI/LAC: i hope boozer and rose both choke on pieces of glass flying from an exploding backboard courtesy of blake griffen (boozer can have serious injuries as a result, i just want rose i don't want injured so much as just to be not better than deron anymore; actually what i want is d-will to be playing better than rose). and then i hope ronnie price windmill-dunks mid-backflip with laser beams shooting out of his eyes.
love me for trying.