jerry sloan, utah jazz head coach 1988-2011, john deere tractor enthusiast, last american alive who actually does what he said he'd do
maybe i've been spending too much time tweeting today (follow me @JazzInJersey) and thus i'm not interested in typing more than 140 characters, but i don't think i have it in me to post anything substantive tonight. a couple of key points though.
- finally, david locke asked somebody point-blank about deron. DL: "it was reported that deron said if jerry's re-signed, i won't re-sign [next summer]. is that true?" jazz VP of basketball operations kevin o'conner: "no, that is not true." guess that puts that discussion effectively to bed. obviously deron played some role here, but it's wasn't officially leaning on the front office.
- phil johnson is the shit. could have snaked the head coaching job for a year or two or three. instead, gave a nod to his history and symbiotic relationship (thanks for that term, locke) with sloan, and hung up his spurs right next to jerry's.
- watching jerry sloan actually cry was like watching the earth split in two. i cried. you cried. like, when you think of the saddest thing ever, you say "i bet jerry sloan would have cried about that." but you know he wouldn't have. tonight he did, black is white and the world is upside-down.
- tyrone corbin is going to be a good coach. probably not going to have a legacy that equals sloan's, but i think we could be a much worse position. let's go coach ty.
- finally got some substantive tweets from CJ; as an added bonus, none ended with "#whatupdoe".
maybe i'll post tomorrow. my heart hurts. my blood hurts.