what with all the "lakers get preferred treatment" shit we jazz fans love to talk, i figured i'd take a look at their schedule the same way i broke down ours yesterday:
NORTHWEST (18 games total)
Oklahoma City Thunder: 1 @ OKC (2/23) 2 @ LAL (3/29, 4/22)
Denver Nuggets: 2 @ DEN (1/1, 2/3) 2 @ LAL (12/31, 4/13)
Portland Trailblazers: 2 @ POR (1/5, 3/23) 1 @ LAL (2/20)
Utah Jazz: 2 @ UTAH (1/11, 2/4) 2 @ LAL (12/27, 3/18)
Minnesota Timberwolves: 2 @ MIN (1/29, 3/9) 2 @ LAL (2/29, 3/16)
Total Northwest: 9 Games played away 9 Games played at home
- The Lakers play the exact schedule against OKC as the Jazz, 1 game away and 2 at home.
- The Jazz play DEN twice in Colorado and once in SLC; LAL plays DEN twice in each city.
- The Jazz play POR twice each home and away; LAL plays POR twice in Oregon and once in L.A.
- LAL plays MIN twice at home and twice away; UTA plays them once in Minnesota and once at the ESA.
PACIFIC (14 games total)
Phoenix Suns: 2 @ PHX (2/19, 4/7) 2 @ LAL (1/10, 2/17)
Golden State Warriors: 2 @ GSW (3/27, 4/18) 2 @ LAL (1/6, 4/1)
L.A. Clippers: 2 @ LAC (1/14, 4/4) 1 @ LAL (1/25)
Sacramento Kings: 2 @ SAC (12/26, 4/26) 1 @ LAL (3/2)
Total Pacific: 8 Games played away 6 Games played at home
- UTA plays PHX once in Phoenix and twice in Utah; LAL gets them twice at home and away.
- Both UTA and LAL play GSW two-and-two.
- UTA plays LAC once in in L.A. and twice in SLC; LAL plays them twice "away" and once "at home" but it's the same arena so what difference does it make?
- The Jazz play SAC twice home and twice away; LAL gets the Kings twice in Sac-town and once with Jack Nicholson.
SOUTHWEST (16 games total)
San Antonio Spurs: 2 @ SAS (4/11, 4/20) 1 @ LAL (4/17)
Dallas Mavericks: 2 @ DAL (2/22, 3/21) 2 @ LAL (1/16, 4/15)
New Orleans Hornets: 2 @ NOH (3/14, 4/9) 1 @ LAL (3/31)
Memphis Grizzlies: 2 @ MEM (3/13, 3/25) 1 @ LAL (1/8)
Houston Rockets: 1 @ HOU (3/20) 2 @ LAL (1/3, 4/6)
Total Southwest: 9 Games played away 7 Games played at home
- UTA and SAS each play two games in the other's city., while SAS plays LA twice in Texas and once in SoCal.
- Two-and-two for the UTA/DAL and LAL/DAL matchups.
- The Jazz play twice in New Orleans and once in SLC, just like how the Lakers play NOH twice in LA the state and once in L.A. the city.
- UTA/MEM matchup is two in Memphis and one in Salt Lake; LAL/MEM is the same story, with the Lakeshow playing the Grizzlies three times, only once at home.
- UTA plays HOU twice in Texas and once in Utah; LAL plays HOU once in Texas and twice in California.
WESTERN CONFERENCE TOTAL (of 48 games):
26 Games played away, 22 Games played at home
ATLANTIC (7 games total)
Boston Celtics: 1 @ BOS (2/9) 1 @ LAL (3/11)
New York Knicks: 1 @ NYK (2/10) 1 @ LAL (12/29)
Philadelphia 76ers: 1 @ PHI (2/6) 0 @ LAL
New Jersey Nets: 0 @ NJN 1 @ LAL (4/3)
Toronto Raptors: 1 @ TOR (2/12) 0 @ LAL
Total Atlantic: 4 Games played away 3 Games played at home
- LAL gets Beantown twice, one game on each end of the country. The Jazz play them once in Boston.
- LAL also gets the Knicks twice, while the Jazz only play them once away.
- UTA plays the 76ers twice, one-and-one. The Lakers only get them once in Philly.
- The Jazz also get two shots at D-Will and the Nets, while LAL only see them once in L.A.
- UTA plays TOR once in Utah; LAL plays TOR once in Canada.
CENTRAL (5 games total)
Chicago Bulls: 0 @ CHI 1 @ LAL (12/25)
Indiana Pacers: 0 @ IND 1 @ LAL (1/22)
Milwaukee Bucks: 1 @MIL (1/28) 0 @ LAL
Detroit Pistons: 1 @ DET (3/6) 0 @ LAL
Cleveland Cavaliers: 0 @ CLE 1 @ LAL (1/13)
Total Central: 2 Games played away 3 Games played at home
- UTA plays CHI once in Chicago; LAL plays them once at home.
- UTA plays IND once in Indiana; LAL plays them once at home.
- UTA plays MIL once at home; LAL plays them once in Milwaukee.
- UTA plays DET once in Utah; LAL plays DET once in Detroit.
- UTA plays CLE twice; LAL plays them once at home.
SOUTHEAST (6 games total)
Miami Heat: 1 @ MIA (1/19) 1 @ LAL (3/4)
Orlando Magic: 1 @ ORL (1/20) 0 @ LAL
Atlanta Hawks: 0 @ATL 1 @ LAL (2/14)
Charlotte Bobcats: 0 @ CHA 1 @ LAL (1/31)
Washington Wizards: 1 @ WAS (3/7) 0 @ LAL
Total Southeast: 3 Games played away 3 Games played at home
- UTA plays MIA once in SLC; LAL plays them twice.
- UTA plays ORL once in SLC; LAL plays them once in Florida.
- UTA plays ATL once in Georgia; LAL plays them once in Califas.
- UTA plays CHA once in Charlotte; LAL plays them once in L.A.
- UTA plays WAS once in Utah; LAL plays them once in D.C.
EASTERN CONFERENCE TOTAL (of 18 games):
9 Games played away, 9 Games played at home
So what's the takeaway here? The Western Conference matchups are almost identical, while the Jazz have a notably easier time against the East. I'm sure those whose lives revolve around abhorring the Lakers can point to the back-to-backs or home/away game balance late in the season. But putting the Jazz against the Lakers this way--actual matchups--doesn't show the much-speculated special golden toilet the NBA supposedly reserves for LAL to shart all over the rest of the league.